The summer of 2014 I attended the Roots & Rhizomes Percussion residency at the Banff Centre. It was an excellent week-long intensive of discussions, interactions, rehearsals, performances, and seminars given by many different world-class performers and composers. In addition to the music happening at Banff, the small town is in the middle of a national park and surrounded by beautiful wilderness. Some of the photos below include morning hikes up Tunnel Mountain, which give you panoramic views of the entire area.
Selected performances/concerts during this residency included:
- Stalks and Trees and Drops and Clouds by Herbert Brün, performed by Jeremy Muller
- Concerto Piccolin by Milton Babbitt, performed by Zeca Lacerda
- The Mathematics of Resonant Bodies by John Luther Adams (Canadian premiere), performed by Steve Schick
- 30 by Mark Applebaum, soloist Aiyun Huang with ensemble
- Tocsin by Lewis Nielson (Canadian premiere), ensemble
- Liquid Borders by Gabriela Ortiz (World premiere), ensemble